From School to Community: Children and Students as Change Agents in the Community
FS2C is a EuropeAid project co-financed by the European Union and the Republic of Turkey. The purpose of the project is to help students develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values to participate actively in democratic life by learning and exercising their rights and responsibilities both at school and in their community. It also aims to empower students with the readiness to take action in society for the defense and promotion of human rights and democracy in society. Students are also expected to be able to develop initiatives to improve their environment and develop participation and democratic civic skills. Students will understand the meaning of participation and develop a sense of effectiveness, through which they will be able to solve problems in their communities as well as be capable to improve their environment.
The objectives of the action are as follows:
to promote and embrace a democratic society by strengthening democratic citizenship and human rights education via a sustainable multi-actor bottom-up approach,
to help students develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values to participate actively in democratic life by learning and exercising their rights and responsibilities both at school and in their community, and
to provide initiatives for students in order for them to be able to improve their environment and develop participation and democratic civic skills.
The major tasks to be carried out in this project are as follows:
1. Review of the literature: The literature will be reviewed on democratic citizenship and human rights education in a national and international context to develop an insight into the issue.
2. Needs Assessment: The needs assessment study will be conducted with students and teachers to explore their knowledge and experience and to generate bottom-up ideas.
3. Training of Teachers: Teaching-learning materials will be developed for teacher training based on the results of needs assessment. Training sessions will be conducted with social studies teachers who will participate in the action. Teacher-training will be executed to create a democratic learning environment based on dialogue, critical reflection, and problem solving.
4. Students’ activities: Students will participate in training activities about human rights and democratic citizenship at their school. They will be learning basic concepts related to human rights and democracy. The training activities can be carried out in civic classes, social studies classes and/or as part of extra-curricular activities. Students will also develop activities to inform their communities about human rights and democratic citizenship for the purpose of raising awareness.
5. Dissemination of the results and project evaluation: The results of the project will be disseminated through publications of articles in international and national journals, and through the organization of a workshop to share the results with teachers, administrators in other schools in the city and invited policy makers. The effectiveness of the project will be evaluated by an external evaluator.
EURICON, The Netherlands--------------------
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Cennet Engin Demir--------------------
You can follow the project on the FS2C project website.